Student Council is a representative forum of the Students' Union and the student voice. Its function is to hold the Sabbatical Officer team to account and pass motions put forward by students. It is supported yearly by our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
NEXT STUDENT COUNCIL: 30th January
TIME: 5 - 7
As a student, what can I do?
Student Council is an opportunity for you to:
- Bring motions to be voted on by the Council. Fill in the form here.
- Hear reports from Officers on the work they have been doing
- Elect an independent Chair and Deputy Chair.
- Provide advice and guidance to the Board of Trustees
- Hold elected officers to account.
- With the Trustee Board, approve amendments to the Bye Laws.
What is the role of the Chair at the Student Council?
The Chair is an independent student volunteer who leads the Council, with no conflicts of interest from any other elected role. The Chair is responsible for maintaining order, curtailing debates that get out of hand, and casting the deciding vote if there is a tie.
This is a great opportunity for you to have a positive impact on your time at University by supporting students and making sure their voice is heard and playing a key role in maintaining the democratic accountability of the Union. It is also a fantastic way to develop your leadership and meeting skills, and gain extra-curricular experience.
Who can vote at the Student Council?
All students are welcome to attend and put forward a motion at the Student Council. However, only Student Officers, the Sonar Media Rep, RAG Rep and Socities Council rep have voting privileges.
Minutes and Meetings
Please find the most recent Student Council minutes below:
1. SC Agenda
2. Student Council Minutes (January 2017)
3. Proposed Student Council Dates 2015-16
4. Bye-law 16
5. Liberation Definition
6. SU President report (November 2015)
7. VP Education report (November 2015)
8. VP Engagement and Employability report (November 2015)
9. VP Welfare and Community report (November 2015)
10. Sabbatical Officer manifestos
You can view the Minutes fom AGM, Officer Committee & Student Council in the minutes archive.
Email the Student Involvement Department at email@example.com, or phone; 0238 201 6433.