Fancy being the next Greg James? Perhaps you just want to learn how to produce great content? Or maybe even just want to meet some like-minded creative people? Then Radio Sonar is THE place for you!
Having recently been announced to take over from Grimmy as the presenter of Radio 1’s Breakfast show, Greg James is the poster boy for any aspiring student radio presenter after he was discovered through the Student Radio Association (SRA). However, student radio doesn’t have to be all about presenting. We’re also looking for producers (content creators), tech assistants (we have a live lounge!), journalists (for our news team and/or to conduct artist interviews), as well as people to co-manage social media and social events. Whatever you can think of, we can accommodate.
We have ties with local community station Voice FM, who offer 5 late-night slots per week (9-11pm) that YOU could end up presenting. As well as this, our links with the SRA and Renegade Music help to provide Radio Sonar with the latest music from the most exciting up-and-coming artists from across all genres. Last year alone we grabbed interviews with The Wombats, Rae Morris and Will Varley, just to name a few. These opportunities really could be yours if you join Radio Sonar!
Example of how a day at Radio Sonar could look
(Monday-Friday, not available at weekends at the moment)
- 8-10am – Breakfast slot – high-energy content, lots of feel-good music
- 10am-12pm – Mid-morning slot – more content-driven, music supplements the content
- 12-2pm – Lunch slot – genre-specific, music-driven show with an enthusiastic presenter
- 2-4pm – Mid-afternoon slot – potentially a live lounge slot for touring artists to come in on
- 4-6pm – Drive Time – transition from playlist-driven day time and specialist evening slots
- 6-8pm – Evening slot – more of a specialist music slot, presenters know their genre well
- 8-9pm – Speech-driven/documentary pieces – comedy/drama slot
- 9-11pm – Sonar Takeover on Voice FM – high-energy, lots of great content, show off the best music coming out of Solent Uni to the local area
The above slots are subject to change depending on show applications and demand.
Membership fee is £10, which is potentially less than £1 per show if you stay with us all year! This fee helps to cover our membership fee in the SRA, which provides us, and ultimately you, with SO many benefits. Included in this is the opportunity to attend SRACon, which is the biggest student radio conference in the UK. It’s full of guest talks, networking opportunities, and a fancy awards ceremony. Tickets for this are expected to be around £170 (including accommodation & food), and it is NOT mandatory that you attend. It is, however, an amazing experience, and would be a great way to celebrate the previous year of Radio Sonar.
Check out our website here!
Check out our Social Media:
Or email email@example.com
Student Groups Finance link:
< MSL:CookieConsent LearnMoreLinkUrl="/cookies/" />